I have continued to work on my 3D printed quadcopter. Now I have also created a new baseplate for a hexacopter. It is still using the same wooden arms, motor mounts and landing gears. I have also created a few extra pieces that I needed, mostly mounts for different antennas.
I will probably add more pieces in the future. Please comment if you have any ideas for what I should add or change.
Click the link below to download the STL files for all the pieces I have made so far.
This is a 3D printed quadcopter that I have made. The design is not entirely 3D printed, it uses 15×15 mm wooden spars as motor booms. My idea was to create a modular system to build quadcopters (and maybe other multirotors) using 3D printed parts. I want multicopters that are fast and easy to assemble, modify and upgrade. I also want them to be cheep in material cost, therefore I have tried to keep the weight as low as possible. Right now, one quadcopter frame is slightly below 100grams of plastic.
Right now I have 3D printed motor mounts, landing gears and a center piece as well as a top plate for mounting the battery and all the necessary spacers. The size of the quadcopter is determined by the length of the wood pieces. The quad in the images is a 250 size. I am using wood instead of 3D printed arms it to keep the weight down, I also think it is stronger.
I will continue to experiment with this 3D printed multirotor building system, and hopefully make all the STL-files available for download in the future.
I bought this airplane used from a friend in my local RC flying club a few months ago. The model is a Windstar from Thunder Tiger. It is a three channel electric glider with elevator and rudder. The wingspan is about 2 meters. The airplane was old and used a lot. I started by removing all the covering film and replaced some broken wood parts. I rebuilt the nose of the fuselage to fit my needs with a large magnetic battery hatch. I also modified the wing tips and removed the original plastic ones and replaced them with balsa wood. After all repairs and modifications was complete I covered the airplane again using a Oracover, yellow and red on the top side and black on the bottom.
This video shows the first few flights of a new balsa airplane that I have designed and built during this winter.
The airplane has a wingspan of 90 cm and weighs around 700 grams including battery. I use standard RC equipment, no special functions or microprocessors in this one. I built this airplane just to havs something unique and fun to fly with. The plane is built using traditional building techniques. It is built out of balsa and covered using Oracover.
Here is a video of me testing my latest DIY home built mini quadcopter at a local indoor flying meetup. This quadcopter is built entirely out of wood and cowered using Oracover. It is strong and lightweight, designed for fast and agile LOS flying outdoors.
Last year I designed the “Stick pusher” for indoor flying. This years airplane is new design. I took all the things that a liked with last years airplane and added some new features, ailerons being the biggest change. I have also moved to a twin boom pusher design to be able to have the motor and propeller more in the center of the air frame, this removes the effect that airplane wants to dive when you increase the throttle. It also makes the airplane fly more symmetrically. The airplane has large control surfaces and is capable of tight loops and turns. It has a relatively large speed envelope for being a small indoor plane, it is possible to fly quit slow, but it can also fly very fast if you want.