This is a 3D printed quadcopter that I have made. The design is not entirely 3D printed, it uses 15×15 mm wooden spars as motor booms. My idea was to create a modular system to build quadcopters (and maybe other multirotors) using 3D printed parts. I want multicopters that are fast and easy to assemble, modify and upgrade. I also want them to be cheep in material cost, therefore I have tried to keep the weight as low as possible. Right now, one quadcopter frame is slightly below 100grams of plastic.
Right now I have 3D printed motor mounts, landing gears and a center piece as well as a top plate for mounting the battery and all the necessary spacers. The size of the quadcopter is determined by the length of the wood pieces. The quad in the images is a 250 size. I am using wood instead of 3D printed arms it to keep the weight down, I also think it is stronger.
I will continue to experiment with this 3D printed multirotor building system, and hopefully make all the STL-files available for download in the future.
I bought this airplane used from a friend in my local RC flying club a few months ago. The model is a Windstar from Thunder Tiger. It is a three channel electric glider with elevator and rudder. The wingspan is about 2 meters. The airplane was old and used a lot. I started by removing all the covering film and replaced some broken wood parts. I rebuilt the nose of the fuselage to fit my needs with a large magnetic battery hatch. I also modified the wing tips and removed the original plastic ones and replaced them with balsa wood. After all repairs and modifications was complete I covered the airplane again using a Oracover, yellow and red on the top side and black on the bottom.
I added procedural water in the “Procedural terrain engine”.
Normally when creating water one often use tiling Du-Dv and Normal textures to create distortion effects and lighting. This is how I did it in the Realization Engine. Here I am generating those textures procedurally on the GPU in real time instead. This allows me to adjust diffrent parameters to change the look of the water. It also removes the repeting patterns in the water that are clearly visible when using texture images that are loaded from the disc.
Procedural terrain engine is my own graphics engine I have written In C++ using OpenGL, GLSL and GLFW to experiment with procedural generation of different typs.
I worked on this project mostly during this summer with the purpose of learning more about the game engine Unity and game development in general. In the last couple of weeks I have tried to finish all the features I stated to implement, and make a playable game out of it. This Game is also my entry in the annual “LiU Game Awards” competition.
I have built an obstacle avoidance robot I built to test a few ideas I had and learn more about what it takes to make robot robot that can navigate around an indoor environment without getting stuck on things. I will also use this robot to experiment with line following and maybe line-maze solving in the future.
I have rebuilt my balancing robot. The reason was that I wanted to fit more sensors and functions, and there where no space for that in the previous design. I have also rewritten all the code and replaced the Kalman-filter I previously used for angle estimation with a complimentary filter instead. This in combination with a higher center of mass have made the robot a lot more stable and tolerant against pushes and other disturbances.
A Kalman-filter should work better than a complimentary filter, but the Kalman-filter is a lot more complicated. Since I do not understand exactly how the Kalman-filter worked, it was to hard for my to tune it properly. The estimated angle of the robot was reacting to slow. My current solution with a complimentary filter is much more responsive. That allowed me to increase the parameters of my PID regulators to make the robot more stable.