I Made a video where I do some tricks with the new 3D printed quadcopter.
Here is a video of my newest 3D printed quadcopter. The quad with this design was to make it lighter than my prevues designs. Here I used 16 mm carbon fibre tubes as motor arms. This also allowed my to install the motor cables inside the carbon fibre tubes, making it look realy clean.
Link to the page with more information and images: 3D printed FPV quad
Here is a short video of a fully 3D printed Spitfire. Design by 3DLabPrint. The plane is printed by a friend of mine, on his Original Prusa MK2 3D printer. It was an interesting experience to build it and test it. Usually, I am not a big fan of scale RC models at all. The plane is a little heavy for my taste, and maybe my setup is a bit underpowered. But it does fly nicely, and it does look very cool in the air when the light shines through the wing, highlighting the 3D printed reinforcement structures.
I have continued to work on my 3D printed quadcopter. Now I have also created a new baseplate for a hexacopter. It is still using the same wooden arms, motor mounts and landing gears. I have also created a few extra pieces that I needed, mostly mounts for different antennas.
I will probably add more pieces in the future. Please comment if you have any ideas for what I should add or change.
Click the link below to download the STL files for all the pieces I have made so far.
I have created a zip-folder with all the files for my DIY 3D printer. It includes the original SketchUp file, all the exported STL-files ready for printing, and the Marlin RC8 firmware configuration files. You can download it on the 3D printer page: Here
This is a 3D printed quadcopter that I have made. The design is not entirely 3D printed, it uses 15×15 mm wooden spars as motor booms. My idea was to create a modular system to build quadcopters (and maybe other multirotors) using 3D printed parts. I want multicopters that are fast and easy to assemble, modify and upgrade. I also want them to be cheep in material cost, therefore I have tried to keep the weight as low as possible. Right now, one quadcopter frame is slightly below 100grams of plastic.
Right now I have 3D printed motor mounts, landing gears and a center piece as well as a top plate for mounting the battery and all the necessary spacers. The size of the quadcopter is determined by the length of the wood pieces. The quad in the images is a 250 size. I am using wood instead of 3D printed arms it to keep the weight down, I also think it is stronger.
I will continue to experiment with this 3D printed multirotor building system, and hopefully make all the STL-files available for download in the future.
I bought this airplane used from a friend in my local RC flying club a few months ago. The model is a Windstar from Thunder Tiger. It is a three channel electric glider with elevator and rudder. The wingspan is about 2 meters. The airplane was old and used a lot. I started by removing all the covering film and replaced some broken wood parts. I rebuilt the nose of the fuselage to fit my needs with a large magnetic battery hatch. I also modified the wing tips and removed the original plastic ones and replaced them with balsa wood. After all repairs and modifications was complete I covered the airplane again using a Oracover, yellow and red on the top side and black on the bottom.
This video shown my homebuilt DIY 3D printer. It is a CoreXY design with a wood frame and 3D-printed parts.
Link to the page with more info and images: 3D printer page
I added procedural water in the “Procedural terrain engine”.
Normally when creating water one often use tiling Du-Dv and Normal textures to create distortion effects and lighting. This is how I did it in the Realization Engine. Here I am generating those textures procedurally on the GPU in real time instead. This allows me to adjust diffrent parameters to change the look of the water. It also removes the repeting patterns in the water that are clearly visible when using texture images that are loaded from the disc.
Procedural terrain engine is my own graphics engine I have written In C++ using OpenGL, GLSL and GLFW to experiment with procedural generation of different typs.
I worked on this project mostly during this summer with the purpose of learning more about the game engine Unity and game development in general. In the last couple of weeks I have tried to finish all the features I stated to implement, and make a playable game out of it. This Game is also my entry in the annual “LiU Game Awards” competition.
You can download the game and try it for yourself here: http://robotandrocksgame.brinkeby.se